Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Technoligical amazement

In the past week, both Nate and I have had our shares of visits to the doctor. As I sit in the cold, bleary rooms, it really gets my mind wandering. You can look and see all the photos and models of the inter workings of a body, any part you can imagine, and its awe inspiring.
I remember sitting in the ultrasound room a few weeks ago and thinking out loud, "My gosh, how on earth did somebody come up with the concept that, Hey, I wonder how we can see a baby before it is born." The tech responded that when they had sonar on ships, somebody wondered if they could use it to see inside the body. Incredible. I often hear my mom and Brenda, and many of my coworkers talking about how neat it is, and how they never had that kind of stuff when I was a wee tot. It is amazing that all of these things are progressing, and it strikes me to wonder, my, when my child is my age, what am I going to be saying is so different?
It is crazy to already see that most people under 21 do not wear wrist watches anymore, why should they, all of them have giant computer phones they carry around that do everything. I wonder if they will stop teaching how to read time in school since it seems rare these days to need that skill. Cell phones, hah, all of Nates students find it comedic that we have such "old" phones. Gosh, I thought we were pretty great with those nifty little flip up keyboards that can text. Is it something that is just built in now, since we see children playing with Iphones, often manipulating them better than adults? I look at prices to have a "smart" phone, (What does this mean? Is a phone supposed to be smarter then a person? I don't get it.) and I wonder how on earth so many people are affording them, and so many in a family. Like I said, I think that this is something that is now just a commonality, like carrying a purse. Grant you, they are super convenient, when Nate had one in command it was nice to whip it out to check movie times or store locations, but at the same time, who wants to have access to email all the time? If something is that important, call me. Seriously. I am starting to feel really old. We don't even have unlimited texting plans. We went to Verizon to get new phones the other day, the guy literally laughed at us and told us that anything we picked that wasn't "Smart" would be a downgrade from our 3 year old phones. Ouch. You slapped us the old, out of the times card, my friend. I wonder at what age my own child is going to "out know" me on the technology apps and different things. I remember trying to teach my parents how to Instant Message and take a photo on their phone.....to mom and dad, I apologize for ever making fun of you for not understanding technology, I fear that I will get my payback very soon.

Okay, now that my rant is over, things here are going very well. We are happily trotting along enjoying the Spring. Allergy season is not my favorite, but it is so lovely to see the flowers blooming and enjoy time out with Nathan. Even running errands is more enjoyable with him, plus, its always fun to see what he has snuck into the cart for an extra treat!

We are starting to put headphones on my tummy daily, so that baby can enjoy some classical music, and a few select slow songs at nighttime. It will be interesting to see if it recognizes them and gets calmer with it is out and hears them. There are some definite favorites, that cause lots of kicking and movement and we have begun to play games by pushing on the little feet, which causes baby to kick our hands, and then crack up.

I have been feeling wonderful, I get very tired very quickly, but am just careful to try not to overdo it. We had a super time at the mil ball this weekend, pic of 6 month bump below. Boy did I feel huge. (Specially, next to all those college girls in their cute tiny dresses!) It always makes me proud to see Nate in his element, when he's stressed so much over something to see it turn out swimmingly is really nice. Not to mention, he looks pretty darn good in uniform, so that's nothing to frown at either!

I have come to the point in the road where I have to lean forward to see my toes, Nate finds me checking to make sure they are there every so often. This makes buckling shoes, painting toe nails, and picking things up a comedic challenge. Baby is in a head down position, which makes walking after a big glass of water almost into a game for me to see how long I can walk before the pressure takes over. Let's cross our fingers that it stays head down from here on out, or at least likes that position enough to return to it smoothly when the time comes in a few months! I am officially in 2 digits to my due date, time is flying!

The guessing games have begun. There is a decent mix of girl-boy, it seems that boy has taken over after this photo. I am curious, what do you guess we will have? A boy, or a girl?


How far along? 25 Weeks
Total weight gain: somewhere around 11.2 lbs
Maternity clothes? Lord yes, still a bit small for the roll up belly pants, but I am loving the stretch waists. So much more comfy. I will save these for Turkey day!
Sleep: Can't seem to get enough of it lately
Best moment this week: Introducing baby to its first musical experience and enjoying the mil ball this past weekend.
Miss Anything? Not really right now. I miss being able to stomach chicken, since it made cooking dinner much easier.
 Movement: So much movement. We can start to tell where different body parts are!
Food cravings: Watermelon and Cantelope, Jerrys crunch coat
Anything making you queasy or sick: Chicken, stinky doritos
Gender: Anyone want to get in on the guessing game?
Labor Signs: Some light ones last week when I overdid it, lesson learned.
Symptoms: Taking stock in TUMS, overall just trying to get used to pressure on my bladder all the time & some back ache. Baby sits quite low. Happy and feeling good.
Wedding rings on or off? on
Happy or Moody most of the time: Excited!!
Looking forward to: Seeing everyone at the showers, being on break this week and getting things done, and having more visitors in the next few months while we prep for baby!

No comments: