On July 10, I started having lots of contractions, but only about 9 minutes apart, so there I was, at midnight with the husband of the year, doing laps around my neighborhood. Fail. They stopped. I was at the point that I was going to do anything I could to get this show on the road. (I know, I wasn't due for another 8 days, but at that point, as all you moms understand, I literally did not think I could make it any longer without this child coming out Twilight baby style.) I spent my days cleaning like a madwoman, organizing over again the nursery, cooking, and bouncing for countless hours on a yoga ball.
On the 15th, we went in to the hospital at around 5:00pm, with 7 minutes apart, and I could swear my water was leaking. The doc said labor had begun, and again...sent me a walking. There we were....hours....walking around the entire hospital. We had complete free rein. Let me tell you how eerily quiet it is in a place like that after hours. We made some funny jokes, and I was goofing around as I walked up and down the stairs at least 10 times in a row, at that point Nate just sat at the bottom laughing at me. The excitement had set in.....
We made the decision to go home, as I had not progressed in those hours and the docs thought I was safe to go home and rest, and hope that things continued to progress in the days ahead. So...after a wicked bad thunderstorm and some Wendys....(little did I know this would be my last meal for the next 30 hours....I woulda had something better....like a steak. Or lobster. Clob clob.) I settled in....well......settled is a nice way of saying it. Basically, my bed the past 2 months was the couch with a blankie. I tossed and turned, which is QUITE the feat when you are THIS big, trying to not just belly up and fall off the couch.
At 5am the next morning, it was official. TODAY WAS THE DAY! I calmly sat for a few moments once my water broke, which is totally not like the movies, and said a prayer for the soon to be 3 of us and also for our families that would be frantically traveling. I was feeling great. I was happy, excited and ready. No pain at all. I calmly woke Nate up, and whammo, he went into crazy prep, phone call mode....the opposite of the previous nights hospital trip. Families were informed and I went upstairs, pulling a total girl move, and put on makeup. Hell, if I felt good, it was all I could do to at least do it up a little bit with some mascara. Nate about flipped his lid when he saw this. Looks like no lip gloss for me. HAH. Little did I know that about 30 hours later that makeup wasn't going to help a darn thing. With all that was pumped into me, I could have passed for Shamu if you would have thrown some black and white paint on me.
On the way to the hospital, my body caught up with me and Whammo, contractions came on like a train. I can remember yelling at Nate to stop hitting the bumps on the HWY. Darn Nate and those holes in the ground. Poor guy. He offered to stop for food, crap....if I hadn't wanted makeup, I could have HAD something for breakfast instead of hurting, in my mind, I was picturing this child coming out at the drive-thru.
We got to the hospital, got settled in and were on our way.
My birth plan went out the window when babies heart rate took a drastic drop, so that meant I was made to get the epidural right away, in case of emergency Csection. It didn't hurt near as bad as I expected. Now, it was not a sunny field of flowers, he missed the first time, hit bone and tried again, but the worst of it all was just trying to not move or make up my own 4 letter words. This now meant I was in bed jail. No moving, no nothing. Having 0 control of my legs really made me appreciate them as they are normally....they feel like again, shamu parts when you try to move them. So heavy.
Our families had arrived and we all settled in for the long journey. I wish that I had a photo of everyone in the waiting room, but seeing as I couldn't move and am the "camera" person of the family.....
I was so lucky and so blessed to have our parents and Melis all make it. The support was amazing and having Melissa and Nate in the delivery room was nothing short of amazing. I wouldn't have had it any other way.....plus.....it was an extra set of hands to hold my 1000lb legs. Melissa also got some amazing photos of Quinn seconds after she joined our world.
| Shaking like a leaf, loving the warm blankets! |
| Setting eyes on Quinny for the first time :) |
Funny, she still sleeps with her arm like that over her head....little stinker. I can remember thinking that we totally wasted time taking all 6 Lamaze classes, seeing as I used basically nothing that I learned and went only with what felt good for me.....(note to all of you out there thinking about those classes...) I later learned that we needed an extended hospital stay, due to a traumatic delivery for both Quinn and myself which sounded appealing at first knowing nurses were on hand to help us.....and then being in that bed for so long....no thanks, hospital beds are not made to be cozy!
The first thing I said after delivery was that I wondered how people had more than 1 child after something like that....but now, after almost 4 months with Quinn, the pain memory has worn off, and she is the most amazing accomplishment that I have ever made in life. I have never felt so happy, fulfilled, and in love with both her and Nate as I feel now. I never really new I was missing anything, until she arrived and gives me the warmest smiles in the morning when she sees me.
![]() |
| Hello beautiful. |
| That make-up....worthless. |
.



No comments:
Post a Comment